Increase Your Marketing ROI With Inbound
Inbound marketing is getting increasing attention for a reason. Why is it important in 2016, and what are some tips for a successful campaign?
- Inbound marketing: definition
- Why inbound marketing?
- Quick tips for success
- Better ROI for your business
Inbound marketing used to be thought of as an optional piece of marketing efforts. Now it is considered fundamental to success. Let’s look at what inbound marketing is, why it’s become so critical, and a little advice as you move forward.
Inbound Marketing: Definition
Inbound marketing is a tactic used broadly by businesses for lead generation, to appeal to customers through their own original Web content. The strategy is popular in part because it pushes customers away from the realm of competitive marketing directly to a business’s site or social media page. It is also valuable from the customer side because people are able to find information to questions they want answered along with the services they need.
The other major value to a business is that it helps give them a vehicle to openly share their knowledge. That informational transparency allows them to develop an edge as a thought-leader.
Typical formats for inbound marketing include:
- Blog articles
- Case studies
- Email newsletters
- Social media posts.
Why Inbound Marketing?
AJ Agrawal of Forbes explains why inbound marketing is becoming so important:
- Ad blockers are now popular. That’s a problem for delivering advertising to customers. It’s also an indication that many people are averse to advertising.
- It makes lead generation affordable. “A 2011…study found that leads obtained from inbound marketing efforts cost 62% less than leads from outbound marketing efforts,” says Agrawal. In other words, the ROI is far superior.
- Inbound marketing is the Web-friendly choice. When you produce the content through inbound marketing, you are engaging with the Web on its own terms. When people look for helpful articles to better understand a subject, if you answer their questions, you are meeting their needs and developing trust.
Quick Tips For Success
Here are a few quick tips for success from Murray Newlands of Entrepreneur so that you can see the full ROI benefits of inbound marketing:
- Get creative. “It’s not enough to just produce content,” he notes. “Your content must educate, inspire or entertain your audience.”
- Talk to the individual, not the group. Inbound marketing is an opportunity for human touch. You can even start a dialogue with users in comments and through social media, if you can answer their most pressing questions.
- Treat the CTA with finesse. Typically inbound marketing includes a call-to-action (CTA), usually at the end of the content. Make sure you drive action effectively without turning your informational pieces into sales copy.
Better ROI for your business
The above lead generation stat from 2011 is compelling in terms of prioritizing inbound marketing. A poll from 2013 had the same basic finding, although less dramatic: $36 vs. $41 per lead (a $5 per lead ongoing savings) for inbound vs. outbound efforts.
Inbound marketing of course does not exist in a vacuum. It is especially effective as part of a holistic plan. At Ren Scott Creative, our multi-layered approach connects all marketing layers to increase conversions. See how it works.